Thursday, November 29, 2012

Sowing Petunia seeds

Last year I had bought Petunia seedlings from a nursery. Those seedlings had grown into the most beautiful Petunias. I completely fell in love with them. So I decided to save some of the seeds and try to grow them myself this year.
After the Petunia flower shrivels and dries up one can pull it off easily. That exposes the small, dried, brown seed pods which are full of tiny black seeds. One can pry the pod open easily and shake out the tiny dot like seeds. I managed to save seeds from all the different colored Petunias.
For the sowing medium, I used Soilrite, which is a commercially available multipurpose soilless compost and soil conditioner. I put some of the Soilrite in a bucket and then added water to soak it.
I filled the seed tray and a couple of shallow plastic containers with the moist Soilrite and evened out the surface using my fingers.I sprinkled the Petunis seeds on the surface of the Soilrite and patted the seeds into place with a gentle to and fro motion. Petunia seeds are surface sown as they are very tiny and not able to push through a heavy layer of soil. Finally, I covered the seed tray and containers with a clear plastic film which helps trap the moisture.
The Petunia seeds have begun to sprout in the picture below.
I also sowed Marigold and Pansy seeds in the tray. Once some seedlings began sprouting I propped up the plastic film using toothpicks so that the seedlings did not touch the plastic. And when most of them had sprouted I removed the film completely.                             

10 comments:

  1. It is really nice picture and looking so great. Amezing and very beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow those tiny seedlings look amazing! So many of them my goodness. I hope they are going to 'grow up' and flower fast ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I've enjoyed reading your posts and am enjoying gardening by proxy. Why haven't you posted anything in the new year? Looking forward to seeing your new blooms...

    ReplyDelete
  4. buy flower &vegetable seeds online in india @ agricart.in

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic website. Plenty of useful info here. I am sending it to a few buddies and additionally sharing in delicious. And of course, thank you on your sweat!
    Organic Product Distributors

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,
    Thanks for information.
    i buy Good quality Flower Seeds online from Biocarve seeds. If you want good quality Flower Seeds visit Biocarve seeds

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello thanks for this helpful infromation.

    I also buy best quality flower seeds online from Kraft Seeds. If you are looking flower seeds go with this link:- http://kraftseeds.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog was absolutely fantastic! Great deal of great information and this can be useful some or maybe the other way. Keep updating your blog.
    Roof Top Gardening in Bangalore | Garden Stand in Bangalore

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...